We are infinitely creative …
We humans are busy creating the world every moment … of every day … from the moment we are born until we pass off of this plain.
It starts with a perception, then a thought, an idea, then we’re off to action (or inaction, which creates by allowing).
Individually, that’s how we create our lives. Collectively, it’s how we create – manifest – our world. It’s fun. It’s heavy. It’s who we are.
We choose our game
Choose the playground, teams, tools and boundaries and every day we get busy.
Yes, we are all playing … even if we think we are not playing because not playing is playing the game of ‘not playing’. No one escapes the reality of creating. We are all creating something, even we think we’re not.
Are you aware of this? Most of us aren’t. We haven’t thought about it. And yet, we are doing it … creating our moments all day every day. Look around, you’ll see others do it. You are doing it, too. It’s mind boggling.
Now, try to imagine
What would happen if we did this creating … which we can’t keep from doing … more consciously? More intentionally? What does that even look like? I’m not sure, but I know it means asking some questions.
Here’s a checklist to get you thinking
- What are you creating today? Comfort? Joy? Chaos? A solution?
- How are you spending your time? It is the most precious and limited raw material you have as a creator.
- Where are you focusing your attention? (Are you focusing it?!) That drives your perceptions, the source, so choose wisely.
- What are you creating from? What are you perceiving and how do you feel about it? Are you in fear, compassion?
- Are you assuming? Faulty assumptions about history, qualities, anticipated outcomes, others’ opinions, availability of resources are like cracked concrete in the foundation of your house. Sooner or later, that thing is going to fall.
- Do you trust your conclusions? Have you jumped up and down on your boards of evidence to see if they hold? Have you tested the fabric for wear?
- Do you have a clear goal? (Not what you want someone else to do, what is your goal for yourself?)
- Do you trust that you’re working on the right goal? Do you trust that you are the right person? That trust is the power that drives your goal.
- Are you solving a problem or a symptom? Acknowledging which you are doing can keep you from being disappointed about the quality of the solution.
- Do you feel good about what you are bringing or want to bring into the world? Does it make you feel like a hero? That energy helps you jump higher and run faster. Not having it turns those powers to dust. You’ll have to work against your own grain. You know that phrase ‘go with the flow’? That includes going with your own flow.
- Don’t know what your flow is? What motivates you, your likes, loves, hopes and dreams? That’s something to consider. So many of us don’t. But, don’t fret! Truth is life is an ongoing journey of self-discovery. Get busy adventuring in your own heart and soul.
- The more deeply you dive into these questions, the more deeply effective and impactful you can be. It doesn’t matter what you’re working on – a line of code, new face mask design, a fat portfolio, a sultry romance, a loving family, an vibrant empty nest …
It’s easy to minimize
But, answering these questions can make all the difference in your direction and success as a creator.
Sure, you may call it navel-gazing, but a little navel gazing can keep a minor infection from growing into sepsis.
It doesn’t matter how you think all this through, only that you do. Take a walk, consider while shopping, while enjoying that burger or game of chess, write, journal, talk to a friend, a coworker or counselor. Do it your way, just do it.
Working with a team? All of you, consider these questions on your own then come together and discuss. Make ‘no judging‘ the ground rule to create an open atmosphere for exploration and discovery. Save evaluating and decision-making for another conversation. Just explore. The decisions will come.
Yes, we’re human
Wwe’re imperfect, we make mistakes, we have a lot to learn, we forget, we juggle priorities, we have moments of weakness.
But know this:
A moment is gone in the blink of an eye. And, your power as creators is immense. It doesn’t hurt to start asking yourself periodically – sliding scale answer ….
… what does the world you are trying to create look like? And, remember,
yes, we are truly that powerful.